Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Little Eye Candy for the Up-coming QuiltCon Sew-a-long


Michelle U., who attended the first meeting, and has been helping with getting the Pittsburgh Modern Quilt Guild up and running recently submitted some quilt blocks she made for the QuiltCon quilt block challenge. She was so excited about participating in the challenge she decided to start playing with her fabric before the up-coming July 8 meeting. Perhaps her work will be inspiring to all of you.


When asked about her work Michelle had the following to say, "I made this one first, after a lot of drafting with colored pencils. I like to sew curves, and these color choices seemed to be the strongest out of a dozen or sew that I colored. I think it's alright, but really describes what modern quilting means to me... bold colors, asymmetrical "blocks." I think this design  could stand on its own, but I might also play with it (with other solid colors or prints) to make a repeating, mirrored design. It's the first block challenge that I've ever entered."


"These are the other two blocks; the smaller, vertical one (04 I think) is just be practicing my curves. the second one, with more grey is a result of what I was seeing other people post on the Quiltcon Flickr site.... There was more piecing and more fabric used. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with another curve... I don't really have a favorite. I tend to like everyone's BUT mine! but that's the way I roll."

Many thanks to Michelle for allowing us to post her beautiful blocks to the blog and sharing her insight to their creation. Stay tuned for another quilt block challenge post later this week featuring the crafty, creativity of Lauren J.

And, just a reminder- our next meeting and QuiltCon block challenge sew-a-long is Sunday, July 8 at the Pittsburgh Project from 1:00-4:00 PM.

Please email with any questions.

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome :) can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with and start on my own!!

    ReplyDelete