Thursday, July 5, 2012

QuiltCon quilt blocks from Jodi

Deconstructed Prayer Flags
I have hung prayer flags in or around the places I have lived for a number of years. They are both beautiful and fascinating to me and bring me immense joy. They were the inspiration for my first QuiltCon quilt block.

Sketch Sketch Sketch

It started as a drawing, which I scanned and dumped into Photoshop for tweaking and scaling.

Pattern Pattern Pattern

A loose pattern emerged, and I built in quarter inch seam allowance.

Completed block

After some fussing about with the pattern and the curves the above 12.5"X 6" block was created.

Current WIP
Above is my current work-in-progress (WIP) for the block challenge. The pins holding it together on one of my design boards says it all. I have limited prints in my stash that contain the colors within the QuiltCon logo, but I am making the best of it. As well, I have long-since been intrigued with the little details in the Michael Miller Peacock Lane print; therefore, I decided to play with it and see what I can get out of it. I don't consider myself an improvised piecer so I am challenging myself all over the place.

Hopefully the blocks posted by myself, Lauren, and Michelle have inspired you to attend the next meeting on Sunday, July 8 from 1:00-400 PM at the Pittsburgh Project.  Please email for details if you are just now finding out about the PGH MQG or scroll down for past blog posts for details.

Lastly, if you have already created a quilt block or three please forward us pictures and a short write-up about your work at the email above. We will post them to the blog to share with your local modern quilting community.

Cheers and see many of you on Sunday- Jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment