Saturday, July 2, 2016

July 2016 Meeting: Handwork


Because of the holiday weekend, don't forget that the July meeting is on 07/10/2016.  We will be joined by Kori Turner Goodhart from Olive Grace Studios.  The topic is handwork.  In addition to discussing hand quilting and current trends in hand stitching, Kori has created a sampler just for PghMQG members!  Here is the message she sent to share with you.

Hello PghMQG, I just want to start by saying I am so excited to meet you all and want to give you a big THANK YOU for having me come to your home and teach you some embroidery!  Embroidery is my passion.  When Cheralee gave me the idea of an embroidery sampler I was SO excited.  Honestly I have wanted to do this for so long.  I have been stitching since I was a little girl and many summers I was laid up with hip issues and my mom would encourage me to make an alphabet sampler with my name, age and date on it.  I thought wow how cool I get to make a sampler at age 34!  What a way to record our summer.  I don’t know about you but I love to pick flowers out of the garden and use my recycling to house my pretty flowers. Anyway, if you google of Pinterest Embroidery Sampler a lot of images will come up of cross stitch and embroidery samplers from the 1800’s.  I designed this to be up to date and modern but in my sketching style!  I hope you love it as much as I do.  This is what I will be working on over the holiday weekend! I wish you all a Happy 4th of July and I hope you enjoy your family and friends. Look forward to meeting you! Fondly, Kori



Here are some examples of Kori's work.  She has been featured internationally, too!










In addition to the presentation, we are collecting blocks.  Please bring any #quiltsforpulse blocks you have and the charity branch blocks that were first available at the May sew-in.


Now to the exciting part!





The kits are $15 each and included a pre-traced design and the supplies listed.  Cash or card is accepted.  If you will be purchasing a kit, email Kori or Cheralee to make sure enough are brought.  The design is only available as part of the kit.  Micron pens will be available to purchase from Kori and she will have a selection of hoops to purchase as well.  A limited number of pens and hoops will be available through the guild to borrow for the meeting, too.  If you would like your name and city to be traced by Kori so the font matches, please let her know to have that done prior to the meeting.

Kori will also have a small retail collection with her patterns and other goodies.  Feel free to shop and support her!


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming to our meeting! We really appreciated all of your hard work on our samplers!

      Delete
  2. Kori this was my 1 st meeting. I really enoyed your presentation. I have 9 letters completed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Mary! If you didn't see, Kori had finishing kits available. Plus, you get 15% off when you bring your completed sampler in to her shop!

      Delete